Know More About Detailed Stone Work
Stone masonry has been into existence since ages. We see its existence even in the Old Stone Age where stones were sculpted to make tools. In old times monuments were built of stones. Many famous monuments which still exist, such as Egyptian pyramids, Taj Mahal and Chartres Cathedral, are made up of stones. And in modern times, stones are used in making different products for everyday use, like kitchen benchtops and vanities.
The skilled hands behind this job
To get excellent vanities for kitchen you can search stores that sell these products made by a stonemason specialist. These experts are basically the people who craft stones and turn simple rough looking stones into a piece of art, at times its simple carving and at times it a more complex design.
It’s a very challenging and laborious job; it requires a lot of hard work and patience. The stonemason specialist has to work in extreme conditions. It’s a physically tiring and demanding job, roughing out stones with bare hand is not a piece of cake. Working in the open during winter times where the temperature goes below 0° C or in peak summer with scorching sun on the head. This is a job for people who are physically very strong as one need to lift heavy stones.
• Qualification – There is no official qualification for the job, Industry experience is what matters most though apprenticeship is available through colleges. One needs minimum 3 to 4 years of experience on the field. Some colleges also provide with the theory classes of the designs and blueprints of the structure.
• A stonemason has number of responsibilities, like to work on stones with chisels, make delicate stone carvings, or make designs for the project, fittings of the carved stones or restoration of the old monuments by repair work.
• Stonemason work in extreme conditions, there is a lot of health risk involved due to lifting heavy stones.
• There are different kind of Stonemasons:
Banker mason who work in workshop in dusty environment which can cause lung problems so dust mask is a must. Noise level is also very high hence ear defender is needed. Fixer mason are the ones who work outside on the building. They have to work in extreme weather conditions and on extreme heights too in case of skyscrapers. They have to lift heavy stones that too at great heights, that means level of difficulty is very high.
• To be a good stonemason one needs to have good physical condition, must know how to work in teams, how to take orders and work accurately according to the orders. One must have good drawing skills. And one must have fair knowledge of mathematics to do simple calculations.
Stonemasons are employed by no of people they can be employed by individual to work on their private property or a company can employ them to work on their project. Even government also appoints them to restore and repair historical monuments.